Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

On returning to Blogger and "Reading" on the drive to and from work.

I used to blog about books. I used to meet local bookcrossers every month at a local coffee shop to enjoy a fancy coffee and trade and discuss books of all sorts. What they were about, where to find a good deal for them and all other aspects.  Indeed, after attending these monthly meetings over time, most of us would go to a meeting knowing who in the group would most likely enjoy whatever offerings we brought with us.  Then my relationship became serious and I moved in, and after a time, we eventually had a beautiful son.  While I still read a fair bit during the first part of all this, I didn't take the time to blog and review.  Then, after my son was born, I was too busy and too tired to read much - shocking as that seems, let alone take the time to update a blog.

When my eyesight became an issue, and surgery was required, I wondered how I would spend those first few light sensitive days afterward.  I decided the best thing to do in a darkened room, was "Read".  Audiobooks that is! I chose and downloaded a few audiobooks from the local library via the overdrive app. and was gratefully entertained while in my darkened room  Once recovered from the surgery, I realized how much I missed my bookish adventures. My son was still young enough that reading was still difficult, but "where there is a will..." they say -  so armed with my Overdrive app, and an audible subscription, I continued to get my book fix while commuting to and from work every day.  I stream an audiobook from my smartphone and rather than listening to the same music over and over again every morning, I would listen to my book.

My life is now centered more at home.  My son is old enough to allow me at least a little reading time every day again, (and I think it is important for my son to see that adults sometimes read for no other reason than to enjoy a book!) and even a little time to blog - I have been typing the occasional brief review, but sometimes on audible, and sometimes on Goodreads, etc. and a blog allows for one location where I can be sure to find my thoughts on any book.  I can always copy and paste to those other places ;-)  I have started this fresh new blog, rather than try to breathe life into the long neglected original "The Last Page Turned" - but the address is https://lastpageturned.blogspot.com/ if you really are inclined.

I still listen to audiobooks while I drive - it just means that now I more inclined to be "reading" 2 books at the same time.

I hope you are able to find time and a way to enjoy the stories that make you happy.

Happy Reading,
Teenie


No comments:

Post a Comment