Search This Blog

Sunday, April 5, 2020

Ramblings: Adjusting to Current Events

Adjusting to Current Events - What has changed at The Last Page Turned Book Blog 

An unplanned and unofficial hiatus


Today is the first Sunday of the month. Normally I would be posting a Sunday Summary; but i've got nothing.  I haven't written any reviews lately, in fact I have barely done any reading. Like many people I struggled to concentrate as so much information was coming at me. For the first time in a long time, I have struggled to follow audiobooks.  

Like a majority of other people, my world has been turned on its head.  I no longer have my evenings to relax with a good book and/or take the time to write a full review. I haven't  done any posts at all for the past month or so.  It has been an unplanned hiatus of sorts. 

I am still working full-time as a secretary in a major hospital, but my work hours are now coordinated with my husband's shift work to ensure that my 8 year old is always supervised and cared for now that schools and daycare centres are closed. When I am home, I am busy caring for my son and assisting him with school work (as I am the parent with more patience for such things). It seems the only time I have to read now is a few pages between falling into bed, and falling asleep. My weekends are spent catching up on quality time as a family since my only waking contact with my husband is as one come home and the other leaves for work, and shopping for everything we need as well as ensuring my mother who is 84 also has everything she needs as well.  As you all know, shopping is no longer a simple task. I used to order my groceries online, but now I can't even get a pick-up slot. I am forced to do it the hard way. 

I am hoping at some point to be granted the opportunity to do a majority of my work from home, but the nature of the information I deal with means it is easier said than done. I keep hoping though.  Going to work gives my the heebie jeebies these days.

At first it looked like life would be disrupted for a few weeks, but recent information points to this going on for months. I have finally come to accept that this is going to be a long term issue and I can no longer wait for life to return to normal. I do not want to give up books or blogging, so the only thing left to do, is figure out how to adapt and make this work. 

Returning to blogging regularly - Introduction of Quick Reviews



The one thing we have all been forced to do at times when life throws us curve balls, is adapt and try to make things work by doing things differently. Some changes occur on their own - I have less time to read, and I will have less reviews to write. Others require me to find a way to change - I hope to further address my lack of reading time by reducing the amount of time spent on certain reviews, shifting some of that time back to reading. 

For now at the very least, review copies and digital review copies generously provided to me by publishers, authors, or their representatives, will continue to reviewed the same way I have reviewed all books until now. 

For most, (if not all) books I that I have purchased or borrowed I will post reviews in a "Quick Review" format.  A Quick Review will include a star rating, the publisher's synopsis instead of my own, a few sentences speaking to what did or did not work for me, and any other thoughts that I feel compelled to share.  

I hope that these changes will allow me to return to posting more regularly in the coming days. I have no doubt that life will be unsettled for some time, and more changes may come in the weeks and months ahead. 

My hope is that those who read this are healthy and finding ways own ways to adapt to this new, current reality we all find ourselves in. We are in this together...just apart. 

Stay Safe, Stay Home. Read a Book.

Happy Reading, 
Christine.

No comments:

Post a Comment