Search This Blog

Friday, January 1, 2021

20 for 2020 Wrap up

The 20 for 2020 Wrap-Up





So another year, come and gone. 

Looking back, there is no doubt that 2020 was a challenging year for everyone. Some of us found more that we had much more free time, and some found we had much less. Without getting into all the different challenges we all faced this past year, it is suffice to say - we all suffered somewhat.  I can not think of anyone I know that came out of 2020 unscathed on some level or another.  I am thankful for the health of the people closest to me, and hope for continued luck in that.  Everything else will improve in time. 

I found myself struggling a little with reading, and a lot with finding time to review early in the year. I stopped requesting and accepting advance copies as I could not say with any degree of certainty that I would be able to offer any kind of meaningful review in a timely matter.  At the time of this writing, I have finished most of my advance copy books, but I'm so far behind on reviews, that writing them is even more time consuming because I have to constantly stop and refresh my memory. Because of this I am not even attempting to review books that were not provided in exchange of a review. Not that I don't think they deserve it - I just needed to prioritize my time more carefully for the time being. Add to that changes made to the blogging platform (not a fan) and some of the time saving tools I used to use (like hootsuite) that made them less functional to my needs, and everything just seems to take more time and effort.  I am starting to consider dropping some of my platforms and accounts to make things a little more manageable. Every time I start to think of this though, I have to wonder where to make "the cuts"?  Twitter is more time consuming than Instagram, but when I am active on both, Twitter seems to be a little more engaging.  Goodreads is all books all the time, and My Book Pledge is lots of fun, but doesn't offer a lot of interaction.  Facebook is where I am most comfortable, but to be honest, that is where I have made the least progress with building a following. Sigh....I know I want to make changes to make thinks more manageable and fun again - I just haven't figured out exactly what. I just know that I am happier when I can talk about books with other book lovers.  So I hope wherever this year takes me, I will see some familiar friends and make some new ones. 

One year ago, I posted my 20 for 2020 Reading Challenge, not realizing that it might be more challenging than I thought. Thankfully, I am a huge audiobook fan, so even when my print and e-book reading slowed down, and my reviews slowed to a mere trickle, I was able to enjoy a lot of really great books.  I didn't end up reviewing many, but I did have entries on my challenge.  I would love to hear from others who took on the challenge for 2020.  How did you do?  Have you read any of these books? what did you think?

Here is my Challenge results. 

1.      The Backlist - Read a book that is at least 2 years old.- Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

2.      The Frontlist - Read a book that is a new release (less than 6 months old) Dear Edward, by Ann Napolitano

3.      The Truth - Read a Non-Fiction title that is not a biography/memoir (True Crime, Documentary, etc.)  Blood in the Water, by Silver Donald Cameron

4.      People Person Books - Read a Biography or memoir From the Ashes, by Jesse thistle.

5.      The Quick and Easy - Read a novella or short book - 250 pages or less (or the audiobook equivalent) OR read a collection of short stories. – Smile, by Roddy Doyle   

6.      The Long Haul - Read a long book - 450 pages or more (or the audiobook equivalent) Pretty Things, by Janelle Brown

7.      Indie Inclined - Read an Indie or small press published title – West Of Sin, by Wesley S. Lewis

8.      Listen Up! - Listen to an audiobook – The Other Wes Moore, by Wes Moore

9.      Long Ago - Read a book that takes place more than 25 years ago – A Gentleman in Moscow, by Amor Towles

10.   Different Worlds – Read a Science Fiction or Fantasy Book – Magic Lessons, by Alice Hoffman

11.   Reading on the Edge of Your Seat - Read a Thriller/Suspense/Mystery book – Turn of the Key, by Ruth Ware

12.   Traveler Through Books - Read a book that has been translated from another language – The Warning, by Paul Pen and translated by Simon Bruni

13.   Young at Heart - Read a YA novel Children of Virtue and Vengeance, by Tomi Adeyemi

14.   Books That Go Bump In The Night - Read a Horror or Ghost story The Invited, by Jennifer McMahon

15.   New Beginnings - Start a new (to you) series or trilogy  Master of Sorrows, book 1 of The Silent Gods, by Justin Call

16.   Meet a New Author - Read a debut novel – Sharks In The Time of Saviors, by Kawai Strong Washburn

17.   Relationship Goals ...Or Not - Read a book that centers around the beginning or the end of a relationship/marriage. (Romance, Domestic Noir, etc) - My Dark Vanessa, by Kate Elizabeth Russell

18.   Read a Movie - Read a book that is also a movie – Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (re-reading as I read the series to my son at bedtime. (starting before her now infamous comments – Please don’t @ me)

19.   The Winner is... - Read a book Short-listed for a major literary award – To The River: Losing My Brother, by Don Gillmor – Winner of the Governor General’s award for non-fiction in 2019.

20.   One World - Read a book written by, and that has a main character that is someone of a different color, culture, sexual orientation, or religion than you. The Henna Artist, by Alka Joshi


So, once posted, I will be un-pinning the 20 for 2020 posts on the blog and on twitter.  I really do want to take the time to wish everyone a happy, healthy, prosperous, and bookish New Year.  May this year be kinder to us all than the last.  



Wishing you all the best for 2021.

Happy Reading, 
Christine
 

No comments:

Post a Comment