Search This Blog

Sunday, April 29, 2018

Ramblings on Books and Reading for a Better community

Yesterday, while scrolling through "My Memories" on my personal Facebook page, I came across a post I shared once, about a note left for a Little Free Library steward in New Orleans, letting them know that their LFL  was making a difference to an individual who, although middle aged, was just learning how to read. I wanted to include a link here for anyone interested, so i searched for a link that was not directed to Facebook.  I found something even better, a link to a list of notes to LFL stewards.  See it here if you are interested.

This got me to thinking about all the ways that books can make a difference in our communities.

Books create a shared experience.  I have never struck up a conversation with a stranger who had the same coffee order that I do, but I would not think twice to strike up a conversation with a stranger if I see them with a book I am familiar with. People who have positive interactions with other people will feel a stronger connection and have a greater commitment to the well being of their community.

Even reading fiction expands our knowledge base about real things.  Authors often spend a lot of time researching details to ensure that their book is realistic.  So while the story may be fictional, much of the information contained within the story is realistic/true.

There have been studies that indicate that reading fiction increases the reader's sense of empathy, even across culture and race differences. (can I just say that the whole world could benefit on that front!). You can read one article on that subject here.

The availability of books can have a huge impact on children. Ultimately for those reasons listed above, as well as the more obvious literacy  and learning aspects. Also, reading provides good, clean fun. No kid has ever gotten themselves into any real trouble reading a good book. My son knows, if we are at a store and he asks for toys or candy, there is a good chance he will be denied. If he asks for a book, he will likely get one.

Book people tend to share.  We cannot keep every book we ever bought. So we share with family and friends, donate to hospital reading carts for patients, charity thrift shops and sales (often leaving after having purchased more that we dropped off!). We bookcross, and we leave them in LFL's. Books go out, and books come in, the cycle continues, and our corner of the world gets a little bit better in the process.

Happy Reading!
Christine






No comments:

Post a Comment