Search This Blog

Thursday, September 12, 2019

Review: 29 Seconds, by T. M. Logan

29 Seconds, by T. M. Logan

St. Martin's Press - 2019
Thriller
E-book
368 Pages

* I received this digital ARC courtesy of St. Martin's Press, via NetGalley, in exchange of an honest review. This does not influence the following opinions which are my own.


My Rating (out of 5)
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


In a market that is fast becoming saturated with psychological thrillers, this book rises above.

Sarah and her friends have a set of rules for dealing with Alan Hawthorne - her boss. Rules like "don't  be alone with him", and "don't get in a taxi with him". Sarah's boss may put on a charming front, he is even a beloved T.V. personality, but in reality he is a manipulative, dangerous, sexual predator who abuses his position of power. And he has Sarah in his sights. Sarah wants no part of him, but he is relentless in his pursuit. Denying him is threatening her career, and Human Resources can't or won't address the problem - other women have tried and she has seen what has happened to those other women - it isn't good.

One day on the way home, she witnesses a man being attacked, and the child with him fleeing in terror. Sarah intervenes, saving the child from being abducted. It turns out that the child's father is a  rich, successful business man with vast resources and dangerous connections. Sarah has saved his child, and in thanks, he makes Sarah an offer. He hands her a burner phone and tells her that she has 72 hours to provide a name, if she says no, the offer disappears forever.  And if she does give a name, that person would disappear for good, with no risk of recriminations for Sarah - no one else would ever know. If she spoke a name though, there would be no going back. No changing her mind.

I absolutely devoured this gripping read!

For me, a thriller that keeps me on the edge of my seat is one thing, and a story that gets my heart thumping is always worth a good review - but one that does that and at the same time moves me, or makes me feel - I mean really feel, or shines a light on the darker side of society in the real world, that speaks to human experience...that is special. This is one of those books.

The story is very poignant and with good timing.  In today's society as our news feeds are so often laden with stories of yet another rich/famous/powerful man facing the women they have preyed upon as women find their strength in numbers under the #MeToo movement. 

Logan does equally well defining both our villain, Alan Hawthorne, and our heroine Sarah.  Hawthorne with his lack of respect towards women was easy to hate. Sarah is a strong female lead that is nonetheless victimized - but she keeps fighting and refuses to just sit back and accept the injustice.  I found it incredibly easy to like Sarah, and the injustice of what Hawthorne was doing to her had me really worked up. I felt Sarah's frustration.  I love it when a book makes me feel something on such a visceral level. 

This book is everything a thriller should be - tight, intriguing, and exhilarating. I could hardly put it down.

Happy Reading,
Christine





No comments:

Post a Comment