Search This Blog

Sunday, November 4, 2018

Sunday Summary - October 21 to November 3, 2018

Sunday Summary - October 21st to November 3rd, 2018

Welcome to my Sunday Summary.  A look back on my bookish adventures for the week.

Well, okay, you got me...this time it covers a two week period.  I did not post a summary last week.  I lost a review just as I was ready to post, and I was already behind in my reviews.  There was little to post, and being so terribly busy it just seemed best to pass for the week and combine with this week's post.  I am still behind a review or two, and am looking forward being caught up again soon.

The family home I grew up with was sold and I moved my mother into an apartment closer to where I live. 
My parents bought that house forty-five years ago.  That's a lot of stuff to sort for discard, donate, or move.  My mother is quite elderly and requires assistance, I live across the city from where the house was, and have a young child at home.  I have been spread pretty thin these last few weeks.  It was an emotional few days as we said good-bye to the family home, but as of tomorrow, the house belongs to someone new, and my mom no longer needs to worry about maintenance, yard work, stairs, etc.  All that is required now is settling her in to her new digs, and helping her find her way around this end of the city. Things will start to fall into a normal routine in the next few weeks.

Halloween was just a few days ago.  Unfortunately with Halloween on a Wednesday, we carved our pumpkins on Sunday, and well....Harry looked a little worse for wear, and not entirely like himself!
The finer lines and cuts starting to deteriorate quickly.  Note to self - If Halloween falls in the middle of the week, plan for a more basic pumpkin carving (like the bats we did, shown here)! I am glad that the weather held up for the kids.  Our forecast is calling for a rapid switch to snow and cold in the next week







Retail institutions will be making a rapid switch over - as they always do, to Christmas and other Winter Holidays and observations. I personally do not get into Holiday Mode until December. First of all, I like to honor veterans in the solemn and respectful manner i deserves. After that, I have a young child with an early December firthday.  We like him to have a day all about him before we switch over to our Christmas decor and activities. It is so easy for a December birthday to get lost in the holiday shuffle. 



So let's review what has been going on here in the last two weeks; shall we?

Books Reviewed:


THE CHILD FINDER, by Rene Denfeld.  This stunning thriller was reviewed HERE

HANNAH GREEN AND HER UNFEASIBLY MUNDANE EXISTENCE, by Michael Marshall Smith. This fun, quirky fantasy was reviewed HERE

THE THIRD VICTIM, by Phillip Margolin.  My review of this legal thriller can be found HERE.

Ramblings and Miscellany:

On November 1st we celebrated Authors' Day. My brief post of gratitude to the writers that entertain us can be found in THIS POST.

Advance Reading Copy (ARC) Books Previously Reviewed and Released this Week:

THE TRAVELLING CAT CHRONICLES, by Hiro Arikawa and Translated by Phillip Gabriel had it's book birthday on October 23rd.  This book, one of my favorites this year, was reviewed HERE


Currently Reading and Notable Titles on Deck:

I am currently reading an ARC if a stunning fantasy called VITA NOSTRA, by Marina & Sergey Dyachenko, with LYING IN WAIT, by Liz Nugent up next. I am currently listening to WHERE THE CRAWDADS SING, be Delia Owens. I will be reading and reviewing WATCHING YOU, by Lisa Jewel (THEN SHE WAS GONE) to likely wind up my advance reading titles for 2018. Early 2019 is looking amazing with many great titles already planned!

So, that is it for now. 

Happy Reading!
Christine



No comments:

Post a Comment