Search This Blog

Saturday, November 30, 2019

Review: Elevator Pitch, by Linwood Barclay

Elevator Pitch, by Linwood Barclay

Penguin Random House Canada - 2019
Thriller - Psychological
Audiobook
Narrated by Jonathan MacLean
12 Hours, 52 Minutes



Elevator Pitch, by Linwood Barclay is a gripping thriller that will have you thinking twice before blindly stepping into a high-rise elevator! 

New York city is one of the most vertical cities in the world. So when hen an elevator car suddenly plummets killing the car's occupants, the city is shocked. When two more grisly elevator mishaps happen right on the heels of the first, it is clear that someone is orchestrating these events. With the city held hostage by terror, tourists are cancelling, businesses and the local economy are being impacted, and people dying waiting for emergency responders to reach them on upper floors. How long can a city like New York survive without the use of elevators, and who would would do such a thing?

Two New York detectives who discover their victim may be linked, and a reporter who has been a long time critic of the mayor try to figure out who would do this before the next gruesome scene presents itself. 

This was my first Linwood Barclay novel, but I doubt it will be my last. Barclay took an easily identifiable and relatable scenario - riding an elevator, and created a compelling thriller around it. I was drawn in to the story easily, and it kept my attention.  As in any good thriller, there were plot twists, and I can say that one of them had my jaw drop while I reached for the rewind. I am happy to report, that I did not correctly guess who was responsible. 

Narrated by Jonathan MacLean. His narration was clear and pleasant, with good tone and cadence, and voices to a variety of characters with emotion appropriate to the story. 

 Elevator Pitch will have you happily choosing the stairs,



Happy Reading,
Christine


No comments:

Post a Comment