Search This Blog

Sunday, September 9, 2018

Sunday Summary: August 19 to September 8, 2018

Sunday Summary: August 19 to September 8, 2018

Welcome to my Sunday Summary.  A look back on my bookish adventures for the week.

This is a bit of a "catch-up" edition, as I was on vacation in cottage country in August, and I ran out of mobile data, even after buying a top up, so I did not post a summary.



Now my vacation is over and the unofficial start of fall has come upon us with the start of school this week. Time to stock up on tea and books for the cooling weather ahead.


Books Reviewed:

As much as I like to think of summer vacation as reading time it really is not. Most of the time my reading is done in the evenings after my son is in bed for the night. On vacation normal bedtime is not observed.
Without my commute to and from work, I took a hiatus from audio books during this period. All in all, not a lot of books reviewed, but with the ebb and flow of life, sometimes all you can do is drift along. The books I did review are:

I KNOW YOU KNOW, by Gilly MacMillan. You can read my review of this thriller here.

THE BOOKSHOP OF YESTERDAYS,  by Amy Meyerson. I reviewed this heart warming piece of general fiction here.

THE PROMISE, by Katerina Diamond. The review for this crime thriller was posted here


Ramblings and Miscellany:

During this past few weeks, we paid tribute to the muse behind the Winnie the Pooh stories. A.A. Milne's son Christopher Robin's birthday was on August 21st. More on that in this post. 

In this post, I talked about the difficulties I had blogging using only my cell phone and data plan while on vacation in cottage country where I didn't have an Internet connection/Wif-Fi.  I learned a few things and come up with some strategies for the next time. 

On social media we celebrated "Read a Book Day" on September 6th, and "Buy a Book Day" on September 7th.  On those dates I have only this to say.



There were no books released this week that I had previously reviewed.  September is looking busy, so be prepared for many new and exciting books to hit the shelves at your favorite bookseller soon. 


Currently Reading and Notable Titles on Deck:

I am currently reading TRICKSTER DRIFT, the sequel to SON OF A TRICKSTER, by Eden Robinson.

I am listening to SPINNING SILVER, by Naomi Novik. This is a dark, adult re-telling of the legend of RUMPELSTILTSKIN.  I am almost done and have been enjoying it immensely.  I should be posting a review in the next day or two. 

I have several great ARCs on deck, and I am always adding more!  I will be reviewing THE SICILIAN WOMAN'S DAUGHTER, by Linda Lo Scuro, and THE TRAVELLING CAT CHRONICLES, by Hiro Arikawa, and there are some more exciting titles already cued up for reading and reviewing after that!  

I hope everybody has had a wonderful summer and is ready for the days of warm sweaters, hot tea, and snuggling up somewhere warm with a good book!

Happy Reading, 
Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment