Search This Blog

Sunday, September 16, 2018

Sunday Summary - September 9 - 15, 2018

Sunday Summary  September 9 - 15, 2018

Welcome to my Sunday Summary.  A look back on my bookish adventures for the week.


Fall is quickly setting in here.  Yes, yes, I know that fall doesn't officially start for another week or so, but I don't think Mother Nature has checked her Calendar about the exact date.  It is starting to feel like hot tea and blanket on the couch reading weather here. Besides, I have been seeing wither outerwear in the stores for several weeks, and I have already picked up son's Halloween costume for fear I may not get anything decent should I wait. School is back in session and swimming lessons start again in two weeks.  Yup, everything is pointing to it being fall.

I have started lining up fall and winter reading choices.  There are so many good ones coming up, I cannot imagine that anyone will be at a loss of good reading material.

So, what has been going on at the blog this past week?

Books Reviewed:

SPINNING SILVER, by Naomi Novik. A delightful dark retelling of the classic Rumpelstiltskin. I loved this updated story.  You can read my review here

JAR OF HEARTS, by Jennifer Hillier - I reviewed this audio book thriller here.


Ramblings and Miscellany:






September 13th was Roald Dahl Day. More on the day honoring this beloved children's author can be read here.

Advance Reading Copy (ARC) Books Previously Reviewed and Released this Week:

LIES, by T.M. Logan was released this week on the 11th.  I was lucky enough to be able to review an advance reading edition of this book.  That review is posted here.

Currently Reading and Notable Titles on Deck:

While technically I am no longer reading TRICKSTER DRIFT, by Eden Robinson because I finished it last night, I will mention it now as I have not yet composed my review, I will be posting it soon though.  I will tell you that I did enjoy it though!

I am currently reading a last minute add-on to my Advance Reading Copies list.  THE SEVEN DEATHS OF EVELYN HARDCASTLE.  i have been quite eager to read this book.  I doubt that I will be able to finish reading it prior to its publication on the 18th, but I am happy to be reading it now.  Stay tuned for that review to be posted soon.

Notable on deck in General Fiction is a lovely sounding story THE TRAVELLING CAT CHRONICLES, by Hiro Arikawa.  I suspect that tissue will be required.

Also on deck is a book that I have been anticipating ever since I read the synopsis. VITA NOSTRA, by Marina and  Serhiy Dyachenko.  This book was originally published in Ukrainian to much acclaim.  The English translation is being published on November 13th.  It is taking all my willpower to wait until I finish reading ARCs being published prior to that date first (I always try to read my ARCs in order of publication date).

Soooo many good books, so little time.  The lament of a bookworm.

Happy Reading,
Christine


No comments:

Post a Comment