Search This Blog

Sunday, July 14, 2019

Sunday Summary - Catch-up Edition - June 23 to July 13, 2019


Welcome to my Sunday Summary.  A look back on my bookish adventures for the past week - or so it is supposed to be. This is a catch-up edition. Sometimes life just gets in the way.

My mother fell I'll, and concerned for her overall appearance I took her to hospital. As it turns out she had had a heart attack. 4 days after I brought her in I was able to drive her home. Fortunately she will be fine, but she requires a little more help than usual as she recovers. 

Less than a week later, my son's daycare calls to say he hit is head quite hard and was tired. While both I and the daycare felt he was probably fine, out of an abundance of caution I spent the evening at the local children's hospital getting him checked. 

After all is said and done, everyone is doing fine now, and while a little stressed, I am extremely grateful. 


Books Reviewed:

The Assassination of Brangwain Spurge, by M. T. Anderson - My review of this quirky fun fantasy can be found in THIS POST. 

Tempests and Slaughter, by Tamora Pierce. You can read my review of this captivating tale of friendship and magic HERE.

The Need, by Helen Phillips. Creepy and dark! I really wanted to say more in MY REVIEW, but what I really liked about this book was difficult to discuss without spoilers.  

Unbreakable, by Kami Garcia. Read my post on this book HERE

Ramblings and Miscellany:

Canada Day fell during this period. I settled for a quick visual on social media. 


I had planned on doing proper Canada Day postings here and on social media,  but it was way sided by my mother's heart attack. I will say, that living somewhere where good medical care is readily available, and will not bankrupt you is something to celebrate! 

Advance Reading Copy (ARC) Books Previously Reviewed and Released this Week:

The need by Helen Phillips - link is above under "books Reviewed.

The Toll by Cherie Priest. A southern Gothic horror. My review is pending. 

Currently Reading and Notable Titles on Deck:

I have several reviews pending, and hope to slowly catch up. 

I am currently reading an ARC of Chances Are, by Pulitzer Prize winning author Richard Russo. This book will be available on the 27th of July. I am in-between Audiobooks at the moment. 

Next on deck is The Arrangement, by Robin Harding which will also go on sale July 27th.

Happy Reading, 
Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment