Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Review: The Favorite Sister - by Jessica Knoll

The Favorite Sister - by Jessica Knoll (Audio Book)

Simon and Schuster Audio - 2018
Audio Book narrated by Ashlie Atkinson, Jenni Barber, and Aja Naomi King


My Rating (out of 5)
⭐⭐½

This audio book was a difficult listen for me.  First of all, I don't think I am in the target demographic for this one. I am probably too old (yes, I said it!). Second of all, I think I might have liked it better had I read it as either an e-book or print copy. The thing is, for me - at my age, I found the characters annoying.  Perhaps their whining, sarcasm, and overly mocked up impersonations of each other would have been less annoying as an internal soundtrack to reading, rather than an actual audio stream of their constant bleating, backstabbing, and scheming. I was unable to "connect" to any of the characters.

The story revolves around a group of women on a reality T.V. show about successful young women - specifically two sisters who are both on the cast. There is a lot of both real and scripted scheming, backstabbing, lying, jockeying-for-position, jealousy, and infidelity surrounding this group of women. As the show's season is coming to an end, and each of the women tries to ensure her return the following season, one of the sisters ends up murdered.

Like I said earlier, I think I am of the wrong demographic.  Also, I don't know why I chose to get into a story about a reality T.V. show when I do not like most reality T.V. shows. I get it though - all those negative characteristics that I referred to that annoyed me so, are the bread and butter of reality T.V., and as such, the writing of these characters was not off point.  As I said, I think i would have enjoyed it at least a little more had I actually read it instead of listening to the audio-book.

Happy Reading,
Christine

Find me on Twitter https://twitter.com/Page_Turned

No comments:

Post a Comment