Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Review: Lie to Me - by J. T. Ellison

Lie to Me - by J. T. Ellison

Harlequin Audio - 2017
Audio Book - Narrated by Matthew Waterson, Saskia Maarleveld, Sarah Naughton, and Julie Whelan  

My Rating (out of 5)
⭐⭐⭐

While a good story, it lacked an indescribable something for me that would make me think of it as more than just good.

Ethan and his Wife Sutton are both successful authors. Infidelities, professional rivalry, and the death of their infant son has taken its toll on the marriage.  One day Sutton is gone, leaving behind a note note asking Ethan not to look for her. Ethan contacts police anyway saying he is concerned, but soon after that a body is found and questions are being asked.

I felt that some of the descriptions surrounding sex and sexual fantasies a little "over the top".  My personal preference is for a "less is more" approach to describing intimate scenes. To be fair though, that is a personal preference.

I didn't feel that the story was presented in an entirely unique or original way. It seemed to be filled with the echos of some of the recent bestsellers within the genre of domestic thrillers, resulting in it feeling a little underwhelming overall.  There was an extra twist at the end though, which was welcome and well played, but for me it wasn't enough to elevate the book to the next level.

The audio cast was good, and having several voices was beneficial to the audio book edition of this story. 

In the end I would say it was a good book, but not one that I see dominating conversations at coffee shops and book clubs.

Happy Reading,
Christine

Find me on Twitter https://twitter.com/Page_Turned

No comments:

Post a Comment