Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Reading Rainbow, all grown up!


 So this morning I saw this on my Twitter feed!


I will admit (grudgingly) that I am a little old to have watched the show myself, but I still knew about it.  Who didn't?  The best part of this post? I want to remind you (or tell you if you didn't know) that if you loved "Reading Rainbow", or love short stories, or love audio books - you can enjoy LeVar Burton Reads - FOR ADULTS!!!!! No, nothing steamy, simply Mr. Burton reading lovely stories in his amazing voice. With just a tiny amount of music and sound effects....bliss!

You can find  "LeVar Burton Reads" episodes on LeVar Burton Podcasts (Stitcher) or you can find them on Spotify or Apple podcasts as well.

A few of my favorite titles on LeVar Burton Reads episodes:

Ep. 2 "The Lighthouse Keeper" by Daisy Johnson - I loved this lightly fantastical story with  a strong female lead (especially as a story set in a time where women were not expected to be strong), and the beauty of the ocean. 

Ep. 7 "Chivalry" by Neil Gaiman - Well, you had me at "Neil Gaiman"! Filled with references of items and characters from folklore, but set in modern day.  From Neil Gaiman's collection "Smoke and Mirrors".

Ep 11 "The Paper Menagerie" by Ken Liu - this one had me ugly crying - in a good way.  A very touching story that I happened to listen to just before mothers day.  A beautiful, magical story you will not soon forget.

I could go on...

If you have never heard Mr. Burton reading, I can only hope you will take a few minutes to listen to one of the podcasts - you are in for a real treat!

"Take a deep breath" and Happy Listening,
Christine


No comments:

Post a Comment