Search This Blog

Thursday, February 14, 2019

Review: The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen, by Hendrik Groen

The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen, by Hendrik Groen

Translated by Hester Velmans
Hachette Audio - 2017
General Fiction
Audiobook
Narrated by Derek Jacobi
11 Hours, 53 Minutes



My Rating (out of 5)
⭐⭐⭐⭐



Delightful and humorous! 

This book has the warmth of A Man Called Ove, by Fredrik Backman, and the humour of The Little Old Lady Who Broke All The Rules, by Catharina Ingelman Sundberg. 

Hendrik is living in a seniors facility in Amsterdam. He starts a diary to document the day to day happenings at the facility. 

Obviously the residents are "old", but they are not dead!  There is fighting and bickering, mischief and shenanigans,  and love and friendship.  Told with much charm, lightness, and tenderness, this book was a pleasure!   I laughed, I cried, I thought about my aging loved ones.  Groen's story while fictional, looks at the reality of aging, showing you are never to old to have fun, and that you should grab life by the horns as long as you are able. 

Narration was by Derek Jacobi and I could not imagine a better match for the story! It is no surprise that he has an impressive list of acting credits to his name. 

Groen has written a sequel to this title - On The Bright Side: The New Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen - The English translation print edition will be available on March 19, 2019.  I don't know when the audiobook will be released, but I believe this one is in my future. 🙂


Happy Reading,
Christine


https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Diary-Hendrik-Groen/dp/1455542156/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

No comments:

Post a Comment