Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Review: Without Merit, by Colleen Hoover

Without Merit, by Colleen Hoover

Simon & Schuster Audio - 2017
General Fiction
Audiobook
Narrated by Candace Thaxton
9 Hours, 13 Minutes




My Rating (out of 5)
⭐⭐⭐⭐


I have to say, I almost DNF'd this one. Now that I am done I am glad I didn't, but it was a close call there for a bit. 

I found it to have a very slow start that just didn't seem to entice me. It seemed like it was just a story about an overly odd, quirky family - I found it all just a little over the top. I was just about to call it quits when the story finally started to get interesting.  

Once that happened though, I found the remainder of the book to be pretty good.  

At the beginning,  Merit Voss seems a little socially awkward, she collects trophies she hasn't won, and lives in a converted church with her siblings, father, step-mother, and here's the kicker, her mother. In the course of the early part of the story, there are a few other characters added, no less odd and quirky than the rest.

As the story goes on however, at about half way through, it starts to have feeling and meaning. 

Merit seems to be the one person in the family burdened with all of the family's secrets. She is being crushed by the weight of them all.  What none of them understand - Merit included is the context in which each of them is living their own reality. When Merit finally breaks down under her burdens, they all learn about forgiveness, truth, and perception. 





I am glad I didn't give up on this book. My perception of the story changed drastically between the beginning and the end - I guess the Voss family were not the only ones to learn a little something about perception. 😉

Narration was performed by Candace Thaxton, and I couldn't imagine there being a better match for this story. Her performance was skilled and believable. Wonderful cadence, tone and range of emotion as well as character. 

 While slow to get going, this book ended up being a very good and moving story.


Happy Reading,
Christine

https://www.amazon.ca/Without-Merit-Novel-Colleen-Hoover/dp/1501170627/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1551298586&sr=8-1

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/without-merit-a-novel/9781501170621-item.html?ikwid=without+merit&ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=0

No comments:

Post a Comment