Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Review: Beneath The Sugar Sky, by Seanan McGuire

Beneath The Sugar Sky, by Seanan McGuire

MacMillan Audio - 2018
Fantasy
Audiobook
Narrated by Michelle Dockrey
4 Hours, 11 Minutes



My Rating (out of 5)
⭐⭐⭐1/2

The "Sweet" third novella in the Wayward Children Series. 

I am really enjoying this series of novella's by McGuire, but this is my least favorite so far.  

Oddly enough, that is part of the beauty of this series. It is a world containing multiple other worlds.  This installment was set primarily in one of the "nonsense" worlds, and I guess I would not do well in a high-nonsense world.  

But Rini's world is part of The Wayward Children's World, and definitely has a place within the series.  I could not imagine continuing to the next without exploring this one, and I have every intention of continuing on to the next one after this!

The story starts at Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children when a new character quite literally drops in.  This is where we meet Rini, daughter of Sumi who we met in book 1 - Every Heart a Doorway.  Through a bit of nonsense and time manipulation, Rini is conceived after Sumi has died.  She and some other students from Eleanor's school set off on a quest to save not only Rini, but an entire world. 

Narration by Michelle Dockrey was well performed with pleasant tone and cadence, range of characters and emotionally in tune. 

Click on the images below to see my reviews of the previous books


http://bit.ly/2TOr8ms
Book 1 - Every Heart a Doorway
http://bit.ly/2tHy3SI
Book 2 - Down Among The Sticks And Bones

Not my favorite book in this series, but I am really enjoying the series as a whole.  

I would really love to see the entire series bound into an omnibus edition one day.  I think it would likely do better on the popular market as a single binding edition

Happy Reading,
Christine
https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/beneath-the-sugar-sky/9780765393586-item.html?ikwid=beneath+the+sugar+sky&ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=0

https://www.amazon.ca/Beneath-Sugar-Sky-Seanan-McGuire/dp/0765393581/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1552499135&sr=8-1



No comments:

Post a Comment