Search This Blog

Sunday, March 31, 2019

Sunday Summary - March 24th - 30th, 2019


Welcome to my Sunday Summary.  A look back on my bookish adventures for the past week.

This week was spring break for school age children in the area. I was lucky enough to have some leftover vacation time to stay home and just "hang out" with my 7 year old son. With very little uninterrupted time, I did not get a whole lot of reading done. I also did not have an audiobook going during the week as I knew I just wouldn't have the alone time (commuting, errands, etc) to make it engaging enough to be worthwhile. 

We did have some fun together though, and that is what matters. He is growing up so quickly! On Tuesday we attended a program at the local public library called "Reading With Raptors". They read a book about an owl (i couldn't tell you much about the story - the parents were in the adjoining room during the reading), and then they had a live barn owl and a small garter snake present from the local wildlife rehabilitation centre. The owl was gorgeous.



On Thursday we attended another library program at our other local branch (we live almost smack-dab between the two) which was an interactive puppet show based on the children's book Looking For A Moose, by Phyllis Root and Randy Cecil. I would love to show you the totally adorbs little moose puppet my son made, but unfortunately it was lost between the tow-truck, the mechanics garage, and our "rescue ride" home 😕. 

On Friday we spent the afternoon at the local children's museum where everything is hands on and interactive. They have a real decommissioned train engine and passenger car, a miniature working model backhoe (encased in clear Plexiglas for safety) that the children can operate, and so much more. Always a fun visit.                        

 


So while there isn't much to report in this week's summary, here it is.

Books Reviewed:

Smoke & Summons, by Charlie N. Holmberg. This is book one in Holmberg's latest Fantasy series. You can read my review HERE.

Find You In The Dark, by Nathan Ripley. You can read my review of this original Thriller in THIS POST.

Ramblings and Miscellany:

This week saw the Canada Reads 2019 completion take place. The theme "one book to move you". The competition was fierce and engaging with all of the books sounding very worthy. The panelists were all very passionate about the books they were defending and it made for good viewing or listening. Ultimately it was won by the book By Chance Alone, by Max Eisen and championed by Ziya Tong. A big congrats to the Author and his champion!

Also like to take this opportunity to say that HCC's March Madness is getting close to wrapping up for another year. It is currently down to the final four! I, for one cannot choose a single title I want to win! I have read and loved three out of the four books remaining. 

Advance Reading Copy (ARC) Books Previously Reviewed and Released this Week:

No ARCs previously reviewed by me were released this week.

Currently Reading and Notable Titles on Deck:

I am currently reading Little Darlings by Melanie Golding, and I have just started listening to The Book Of Essie, by Meghan MacLean Weir

As always I have pending ARC requests out, but titles you can expect to see reviewed soon are Romanov, by Nadine Brandes, The Night Before by Wendy Walker, and more. 

Wishing you a wonderful spring filled with books to make your heart and mind bloom!

Happy Reading, 
Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment