Search This Blog

Monday, January 28, 2019

Review: The Baggage Handler, by David Rawlings

The Baggage Handler, by David Rawlings

Thomas Nelson - Available March 5, 2019
Page count: 240
Thank you to Thomas Nelson for providing this digital review copy in exchange of an honest review. Opinions are my own.



My Rating (out of 5)

⭐⭐⭐1/2



Short and sweet.

This book was a quick read. At only 240 pages, it didn't take a lot of time to finish. Even though it was short, it successfully completes its mission of reminding the reader to take a personal inventory of any forgotten items packed in our personal "baggage". You know what I'm  talking about. We all have personal baggage we carry around.

I found this book to rest on the border between "spiritual" and "religious". I am not a religious person, but i do consider myself to be spiritual.  "When I do good I feel good, when I do bad, I feel bad. that is my religion" - a quote attributed Abraham Lincoln, which pretty much sums up my view in that respect. The way the book was written allows for the reader to decide whether to interpret it from a religious angle, or a more generic, spiritual one. 

I also found that the book hovers between magical realism and self help.  The themes and messages contained within were not at all disguised. There are no big surprises here. The book was predictable, but as the reader, I didn't mind.  It had a feel-good quality to it, and the themes were ones that I think we often become complacent towards, so the reminders wrapped up in this brief little book were still welcome. 

This book was a short but pleasant read.




Happy Reading,

Christine

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/the-baggage-handler/9780785224938-item.html?ikwid=the+baggage+handler&ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=1

https://www.amazon.ca/Baggage-Handler-David-Rawlings/dp/0785224939/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1548706289&sr=8-2

No comments:

Post a Comment