Search This Blog

Saturday, January 19, 2019

Review: Nine Perfect Strangers, by Liane Moriaarty

Nine Perfect Strangers, by Liane Moriarty

MacMillan Audio - 2018
Audiobook - 16 hours, 18 minutes
Narrated by Caroline Lee





My Rating (out of 5)
⭐⭐⭐⭐

I enjoyed this book very much, but find it difficult to categorize. 

Some have categorized it as a thriller, but that just doesn't work for me. To call a book a thriller implies a certain "edgy" quality, with a sense of fear and foreboding that grabs you early on and hangs on to you till the end. I personally found this book to be more of a General Fiction read for the most part, although about three-quarters of the way through the book I did understand how some have labelled it a thriller.  

I will say this - If you are looking for thriller to put you on the edge of your seat on the first page and leave you there to the last, this is not the book for you.  This story takes the "Slow and steady wins the race" approach.  If you have the patience for it though, you will be rewarded.

Whatever you want to classify it as, I did really enjoy it. 

The story brings nine people from differing walks of life together at a remote health resort. Their reasons for being there are as different as the people themselves. Their expectations may have all been different, but one thing is for sure, none of them expected their stay to go the way it did.

Moriarty's character development was wonderful. While having a large cast can be overwhelming, Moriatry took the time to really humanize each of the players, giving each of them a mix of good and bad traits, and a backstory to explain how they came to be the way they were. 

Narration was provided by Caroline Lee.  I was a little concerned as I was giving the audiobook the once over before clicking the purchase button. There were several people complaining about the narration/audio quality.  I can only assume that there was some technical issue that was remedied by the good people at Audible, because I had none of the issues that some listeners complained about. Caroline Lee provided expert narration with a pleasant voice with good tone and cadence, as well as a good range of character and emotion.  In short, I thought she was spot on.

Call it a Thriller if you like. Call it Women's Fiction or General Fiction if you like. For myslef, I will just call it a good book. 

Happy Reading, 
Christine



No comments:

Post a Comment